Do you feel stressed in your job every day? Does the stress keep you up at night? If this is you, then we got you! Every job comes with its share of stress that burns you out completely. However, some other jobs also top the list of most stressful jobs in the world. In this blog, we have dug deeper into all the most and the least stressful jobs worldwide to give you an idea of the degree of stress every job carries!
Why are jobs so stressful?
Ever wondered what makes a job stressful? There is no direct inclination as to why every job seems stressful. However, some factors add the element of stress in your day-to-day work, like traveling exertion, workplace politics, a risk to one’s own or others’ life, lower growth potential, unrealistic deadlines and competitiveness. The reasons may or may not be the same for every employee. But the majority of such reasons lead to a long-standing stress in your job.
What are the top 7 most stressful jobs?
Pondering which jobs are most stressful other than the ones you know? Well, there are many to count at your fingertips, which is why a curated list of the 7 most stressful jobs in the world might help!
Healthcare Professionals: Healthcare workers, including doctors, nurses, and emergency medical technicians (EMTs), encounter high levels of stress due to the demanding nature of their work. The average salary of a healthcare professional in the US is $56,070. They work long hours, often overnight or on weekends, and deal with life-and-death situations on a regular basis.
- Firefighters- Firefighters risk their lives daily to save others from dangerous situations. The average pay of a firefighter in the US is $47,720 per year. They work day in and out to respond to emergencies and act in a distressed and traumatic environment. Therefore firefighters come in the top 5 most stressful jobs in the world.
- IT manager- An IT manager is another job role that exudes a high degree of stress as they have to manage the entire company’s IT processing. Their average salary is somewhere around $162,930. Stressful events like power down, faulty software, and network down can impact the whole working of the organization, imbibing a high level of stress in the IT managers and their teams.
- Police officers- Police officers also come from stressful jobs in America that face high levels of stress due to the danger and unpredictability of their job. The average salary of a police officer is $70,750. They are required to be constantly vigilant and ready to respond to dangerous situations, which can take a toll on their mental and physical health.
- Event coordinator-Event coordinator is another stressful job that pays an average salary of $57,850. The event coordinators have to manage the logistics of large-scale events, such as weddings, conferences, and concerts. They often work long hours, including evenings and weekends, and they also have to coordinate with vendors and clients simultaneously while doing their job.
- PR executives- Public relations executives are responsible for managing the public image of a company or organization. They are paid an average salary of $73,250 to respond to crises, handle media inquiries, manage social media accounts and more. They often work long hours under high levels of stress and pressure, especially during times of crisis.
- Airplane Pilot- Airplane Pilot is among the most stressful jobs in the world as the pilot is solely responsible for the safety of the passengers and the cabin crew. Pilots have to fly even in extreme weather and hijacks. The last-moment changes in the schedules also add to the stress in their jobs. The average salary of a pilot is $198,190, making it one of the highest-paying jobs in the US.
Out of all the jobs, IT managers/ IT jobs make it to the top 5 stressful jobs in the world. As the leading IT headhunter, we enjoy an upper hand in understanding what actually causes stress in these jobs. Read on to find out!
Why are IT jobs stressful?
Ever thought about why IT jobs are stressful? The fast-paced and constantly changing nature of the IT industry can contribute to high levels of stress among IT professionals. There are many causes for the underlying stress like long working hours, high-level of responsibility, On-call responsibilities, high-pressure situations etc. These reasons also answer “why software jobs are stressful” as the major causes remain the same!
The list of most stressful IT jobs is long. Whether you are a software IT expert or a hardware technician, the stress levels in an IT job are unpredictable. IT jobs like web developer, technical writer, Computer Systems Analyst, Network and Computer Systems Administrator, Data Scientist and Software Engineer are among the top stressful IT jobs.
Is it worth having a stressful job?
Is a stressful job worth the money? It is common to wonder if the efforts that you are putting into a job are even worth it or not! The above-listed stressful jobs in the world are also one of the highest-paying jobs both nationally and internationally. However, there are several things that you must consider to get the answer to “are high stress jobs worth it”.
Factors like pay, benefits, autonomy, and work schedules are the top majors to keep in mind while deciding the worth of your stressful job. If all these factors are above the stress that you are experiencing, then your job might be worth it or vice versa. And if not, don’t worry, as there are many least stressful jobs out there that you can consider for yourself!
What jobs are not stressful?
It is imperative not to find a job that evokes less stress than others, as every field/job has its own share of stress. However, if stress scores are considered, then some jobs are ruling the bar of the least stressful jobs. Now that you are wondering which jobs are less stressful, then here is the least of the least stressful jobs worldwide
- Hair Stylist
- University professor (tenured)
- Medical records technician
- Pharmacy technician
- Massage therapist
- Diagnostic medical sonographer
- Compliance officer
- Operations research analyst
- Appliance Repairer.
The most stressful job in the world is also one of the highest-paying jobs. With a number of reasons for the stress, the jobs like police officers, firemen, and airplane pilots will continue to be stressful jobs due to the core nature of their job. However, there are many jobs on the radar of the least stressful jobs that one can consider while considering the relevant factors.